Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day One -- Trip of a Lifetime

Dear Friends,

We made it! After a long, long journey, we're in an amazingly beautiful flat on the 7th floor of an 8 floor building in the gorgeous neighborhood of Palermo Viejo. Melanie's neighborhood is close, although we've not made it that far. Tonite we'll wander over to see.

Getting to the airport in Dayton was more difficult that I'd hoped. As always I thought I was organized. Ha! Then we hit I-75 Highway 4 traffic. For once I was happy that Dad had forced me out early! And, that early check-in over the internet is really cool too!!

Flying through Houston was my first time in that airport but I do remember the gulf level of humidity. That's a special treat! Geez oh pete! There were lots of little ones on that flight who were extremely well behaved, so when there were several on the overnight flight I was optimistic. Hahahaha!!!

Let's just say it could have been better! Screaming 18th month olds at 3am, well, they aren't my favorite. Let's just say their mothers weren't my favorites. Had they ever heard the word 'no'? Or said it?

Landing in BA, both of us wondered what the heck Melanie had done to herself three months ago! How had she done this? That's my girl! Customs was a breeze and collecting bags was better than expected, and as soon as we passed through the airport doors we were totally barraged with 'offers' of taxi rides, rental cars, etc. I was not expecting such an enthusiastic welcome! I hadn't seen that kind of offering, or barking from folks since we lived abroad -- and I cannot remember where.

Seeing Melanie was a joy -- she looks wonderful! And watching her communication skills is a treat! The Argentinian-Spanish, from what I can tell from less than a day, is SO DIFFERENT from what I have ever experienced. She's right!!

Pronunciations like the 'll' I'm used to being a 'y' are a 'sh'!! I still want to make them 'll' being a stupid American -- so the poor Argentinians get a total of three words now instead of one! Complete lack of communication skill from me!

And, folks speak into their collars. And mush words together. We noticed that on the plane. Following English, the Spanish translation was given, obviously, but neither of us could understand. Maybe we'll get better, but in a week, I doubt it! Also -- speed is the key. The faster the better!!

Nevermind. She looks beautiful, and she's communicating much better than I expected. But I knew that going in! It's great to watch.

Tomorrow I'll write on what I've seen so far -- and it is amazing. So much to take in! But today is for snuggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment