Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day Two -- Our Luck Continues!

What a gorgeous day we had yesterday! After a slow morning, Melanie decided to take us on a bit of a walking tour of some of the sites of the city: Av. 9 de Julio, the Teatro Colon, the national Cathedral and the Casa Rosada. We walked up to Plaza Italia to take the subte (the Buenos Aires metro system) downtown, and realized that Melanie wasn't exaggerating about everyone looking miserable all the time. After about one stop, Al asked Melanie, "How do you say 'smile?'"

We emerged from the subte facing the Obelisk (not much different than any other obelisk) and after a quick stop into a Christmas ornament store, did a bit of walking around on Av. 9 de Julio. My goodness, what a busy street! It's one of the widest and busiest streets in the world, and I will always remember watching the sea of people crossing at every light. It reminded me of Picadilly Circus -- but bigger and much more confused.

Our wandering led us to Tribunales, the square in front of the court building and the subte station Melanie uses to get to classes. She mentioned that the square looks a lot prettier in daylight - all her classes are at night! I made her promise to return during daylight in late Spring, as I saw what looked like the hugest and most incredible rhododendron tree ever! I made her SWEAR to take a picture when it blooms!

We got lunch in a street cafe near the square and then hopped back onto the subte to Catedral to see the national cathedral and the casa rosada. The cathedral looked so unlike a cathedral from the outside that we asked someone where it was while standing on its steps (!), but inside it was quite lovely. No concert in our honor this time, but as we were walking towards the doors, Melanie pulled me back so I narrowly escaped walking right into a cadre of fully uniformed guards (equipped with sabres...) that had come to open the gates of the tomb of General San Martin, the man who liberated Argentina so easily he decided to cross the Andes and liberate a few other countries while he was at it. It was awesome to watch, and we just laughed at our luck! Two days, two churches, two remarkable things to see!

We met the old guard's modern counterpart when we went to take pictures in front of the Casa Rosada ("Like the White House, but pink," said Melanie) and saw a unit of riot police marching around in full gear. We think there was an animal rights protest planned for the afternoon, but we scooted home for a nap before any of that started. Maybe next time.

Melanie and Al went grocery shopping while I was asleep, and after I got up, Melanie and I poked into two stores within a block of our flat--one vintage and one modern. We didn't find much, but I did get a cute sun hat for our trips to the garden and to Uruguay! Home to get dolled up, and then we went to a highly-recommended restaurant, La Cabrera.

How YUMMY! For a total of $75 including a generous tip, the three of us ordered twice as much meat as we could eat, plus a bottle of wine inspired by Andy jumping over the moon (Andeluna, it was called), plus two incredibly decadent desserts. Melanie and I made quick work of them, and when the waiter came back, Al informed the waiter that we were "Las Vulturas." Like the complimentary glasses of champagne we got with our dessert, we left the restaurant feeling quite bubbly, and giggled the whole way home.

Today, Melanie is taking us to the botanical gardens. I am so excited to see all the strange and wonderful plants. In our taxi ride back from our sightseeing yesterday, I saw a huge wisteria in full bloom, so I'm very curious to see what's growing and blooming in the beginning of Spring! I'm amazed at some of the things I've seen overwintering outside here! I'm sure I'll drive Al and Melanie crazy taking pictures of flowers, but it surely won't be the first time I've done that!

I'm so glad that we came. We're having a lovely time, and it's so wonderful to see our girl in her new city. She's become quite the city girl. She's more comfortable in this atmosphere than I'd ever be, it's a tough place and you have to be pretty tough to live in it! Never fear, though, I'm still getting snuggles I need.

more later...gardens await!

1 comment:

  1. We are so happy to hear how well things are going and it is so funny to hear someone who is on vacation talking about flowers! ;-)

    Saw Scrappy and Mandy last night and they were doing well. Your Buddy was trotting down the street with them as they walked. Things are still going well here, although the pollen count is VERY high and we are all suffering. Can't wait for it to drop!

    Have a safe trip home and Melanie, just keep hanging in there with your studies and we look forward to hearing more from you, and of course, seeing you when you return home.

    God bless!

    Chris-girl

    ReplyDelete