Friday, September 11, 2009

and then they sang...

so we slept like the dead and woke refreshed! The city was just coming to life as M said it would. We took a taxi to her lovely little apartment. It's darling! Just perfect for her. Tiny kitchen as she said, but suitable, and if she uses every surface as a countertop. Reminds me of my first little tiny apt all those years ago!

We walked out to her square, and looked at the amazing Cathedral Guadalupe, and of course wanted to peek inside...and I don't know who was singing, but it was holy and amazing. We have that kind of luck. In Chartre, Santorini, our first Mass in England at Westminster Cathedral where they were doing a Mozart Mass in A minor -- I don't think it's luck, I think it's by the grace of God, truly.



Dinner was a hoot, bowls of different kinds of stews. She got a butternut squash something over chicken, Dad got a peach, prune, different meat something, but I lucked out with lentils and jamon and mixed salted meats. I won the jackpot. It was delightful!

And the things that grow here. My goodness. The drive in from the airport yesterday I had my head hanging out the window. The driver, Aldo spoke no English but his Spanish was 'neutral' he said, and he was easy to understand for Dad and I. M had to translate some, but not much. The palo borrecho or 'beer-belly' trees I will have to take a photo of. They are great! It's like March here -- deciduous trees are just leafing out now. But hibiscus are outside and BLOOMING. Fig trees are outside and sporting new growth. There are palms of course. But still. We are nearly in the tropics here. But, we see familiar allysum blooming. Right by the outdoor amaryllis. Mind blowing. Very difficult to comprehend.

We're off to new explorations today. How absolutely wonderful. More later.

1 comment:

  1. We are so happy to see that you had a safe journey and that you are having a wonderful time! Things are going well back home and I am sure your pets are being spoiled. Have a great time and we can't wait to see you again!

    Love you all!

    Christine and the kiddos (Chris is in the UK)

    ReplyDelete