Saturday, July 25, 2009

Guadalupe

My writer's strike is over, less because of a magical dissolution of the feelings that led me to stop than a realization that moments are starting to pass me by. I'm writing because of the sound of church bells.

Before I went to Europe in the summer of 2005, I asked a photographer exhibiting incredible pictures of the forgotten architecture of the Alpine countries at the Tri-Rivers Arts festival for the most important piece of advice he could give me. His reply?

"Always look up."

If the theme for Europe is "always look up," the motto of Buenos Aires seems to be "never look up." On top of the pick pockets, huge crowds and homicidal maniac drivers, I'm convinced that BsAs has th largest dog poop to sidewalk ratio of any city outside of Asia (I've never been to Asia, so I can't say.) If you find yourself enjoying the scenery and don't get hit by a car or rammed into by a business woman, you'll step in crap. It's a law.

So it happened that I'd walked to the corner café a block from my new apartment. It was called Guadalupe, which I misread to say Guatemala, and assumed it was so named because it sits at the corner of Medrano, Paraguay and Guatemala. I was sitting in the seventy-two degree afternoon air with a stack of reading and a cup of tea when I heard the bells begin to ring.

I'd heard the bells before, they reached my old apartment on breezy days, but this sounded closer. Setting down a truly un-engrossing article, I remembered that the Cathedral was a couple of blocks from my new place, so I might be able to see it from where I sat. I looked over my shoulder across the street and realized that I was sitting a highlighter's throw from Guadalupe herself, explaining why the Holy Mother's picture was on the napkins. How do you walk adjacent to and then sit for an entire afternoon across from a cathedral and not realize it?

Sitting there, watching the pigeons and wondering what the stained glass looked like from the inside, I realized that I'd let all the dogshit in this city keep me from seeing the sacred among the profane.

I'm not writing for you. Not one of you is so busy that you can't spend ten minutes once a month to let me know how you are and that you think of me at all. I'm writing this to remember. And if you happen to read it once a month when you're bored and have run out of other ways to waste time online, well? I can't stop you.

4 comments:

  1. Melanie,

    I think about you often and come here to see updates. I can understand you not wanting to keep blogging....We do love you and hope you don't think you are forgotten. I get kept up to date by your folks too. Sorry we haven't been so good about writing, but we will try to do better. Hang in there - we are praying for you!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading your blog entries as well whenever I get a chance. It's been a lot harder ever since I started work full-time. I hardly go on my laptop computer anymore and I can't access most sites at work due to the base blocking everything. I do hope that you are doing well and I hope to sign onto Skype in the next few days to talk to you if you are available. Let me know what days work for you.

    xoxo
    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I'm here every day -- even during your 'strike'. You are beloved my petunia!! xox

    the cat nurse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melanie!

    I am sure you are deep into your studies at this point, but I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you today. I have been recovering from major surgery, so I haven't been online much over the past few weeks, but I am so glad to see you back on! I am getting the kids back into home schooling today and Jessica goes back to XCS tomorrow. She is excited and nervous at the same time. I also wanted to let you know that I am going to have Juliana and Ben start doing Rosetta Stone Spanish a few days a week just to get them learning some new things. Jessica takes Spanish 2 this year. I will have to have them try to write something to you in Spanish!

    Take care and know that we are thinking of you and praying that you are happy and safe in your new "home". God Bless!

    Chris-girl

    ReplyDelete